Here's my resume. Each part of it has contributed to my ability to help you get your message across in a compelling way.
Writing and Editing
Freelance Writer, Editor, and Proofreader
SpeakerBox Communications Vienna, VA, June 2015–present
- Ghostwriter for long-form content needs: white papers, executive-bylined articles, award submissions, and blog posts.
- Collaborate with web designer to rewrite web copy for clients.
Laureate Network Baltimore, MD, April–July 2017
- Researched and wrote white papers for presentation at international education conference.
Elevation DC, Washington, DC, August 2012–15
- Content Editor for Innovation and Job News for weekly online publication; filed four news articles per week and two feature stories per month.
- Published content to internal CMS, including metadata and tags, and to social media.
Publications Professionals Fairfax, VA, 2008–13
- Provided offsite editorial and proofreading support for the World Bank and the American Forest Foundation, often with 24-hour turn time.
- Provided the following services on site for K12, Inc., in Herndon, VA, 2008–12:
- Edited and proofread copy online using the Chicago Manual of Style and in-house style guide.
- Quality-checked online and print information for consistency.
- Represented editorial voice on cross-functional teams that included instructional and visual designers, content specialists, media editors, and project managers.
- Served as associate text editor for The American Odyssey and World History: Our Human Story.
Spine & Joint Institute Fairfax, VA, 2012–13
- Wrote and designed point-of-contact advertisement for family-owned chiropractic office.
- Rewrote web copy to coordinate with brand strategy.
Founder and Proprietor
Write Up Your Alley Cincinnati, OH, 2001–08
An independent writing and editing business serving business and media clients, including:
Cinmar, publisher of Frontgate and Grandin Road catalogs,
West Chester, OH, 2005–07
Wrote, edited, and proofed copy in InDesign during multiple layout stages.
Cincinnati CityBeat, weekly alternative press, Cincinnati, OH, 2003–08
Wrote feature articles, book reviews, and advertorials, as assigned; Researched and wrote weekly “Where Are They Now?” feature for 10th anniversary year of publication.
Vocalpoint.com, marketing website for Procter & Gamble, Cincinnati, OH, 2007–08
Developed articles and discussion boards for target market of women and mothers.
Aroundcinci.com, Cincinnati, OH, 2002–06
Conducted research and interviews, and wrote 12 feature articles per month previewing events for Time Warner Cable’s online guide to Cincinnati.
The American Israelite, weekly press, Cincinnati, OH, 2000–05
Covered events and wrote feature articles for the oldest Jewish weekly in America.
The Cincinnati Enquirer, daily press, Cincinnati, OH, 2000–01
Created topics, researched, and wrote featured rotating editorial column.
My background in education has given me a foundation in fostering collaboration and respecting diversity among all team members.
Founder and instructor
Yeah Write! (formerly Girls' Voices and The Write Brothers)
Fairfax, VA, 2012–present
- Created afterschool writing program for elementary- and middle-school-aged students.
- Facilitate discussions and responses to a variety of literature.
- Coach writers on intentional communication, self-expression, mindfulness, and listening.
High School English and French Educator
Indian Hill High School Cincinnati, OH, 1999–2000
Planned and implemented class discussions, conversations, and activities for French I, French IV/V, Advanced Placement (AP) French Literature, and AP French Language.
Campbell County High School Alexandria, KY, 1997–99
- Planned and implemented class discussion and activities for English III, English IV, French I, and French II
- Exposed students to canonical and contemporary literature.
Hughes Center Cincinnati, OH, 1996–97
- Planned and implemented freshman English courses.
- Guided students in writing portfolios.
- Coached and conducted Socratic seminars.
Youth Performing Arts Coordinator, Jewish Community Center
Cincinnati, OH, 1995–99
- Directed K–8th grade students in two plays per year (1998–99).
- Supervised 36 3rd–6th grade students.
- Supervised high school students in stage crew and production positions.
- Created theatrical and social programming for six-week summer sessions.
- Managed direction, choreography, vocal music preparation, set design, lights, costumes, and lobby display.
Special Needs Tutor, Barbara Solomon, Inc. Cincinnati, OH, 1995–97, 2001–03
Tutored 4th–12th grade students with language and attention deficit issues
I bring the best of both worlds to projects: a rock-solid foundation of fundamentals and a contemporary understanding of digital media.
- Content and document management systems
- Adobe InDesign, InCopy, and Acrobat; familiarity with Illustrator and Photoshop
- Social applications
- WordPress and Mailchimp familiarity
University of Cincinnati Cincinnati, OH
Teaching Certificate, Secondary English, 1997
Teaching Certificate, French K–12, 1997
University of Missouri Columbia, MO
Bachelor of Arts, English with Honors, 1995;
Bachelor of Arts, French, 1995
Phi Beta Kappa
Université Jean Moulin Lyon III Lyon, France
Diploma of French University Studies, 1994